Suggest an over-the-counter medication for sinus infection

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Thu, 13 Sep 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am 73 years old. Female. Last October my bridge in the left upper back of my mouth fell out. Have not gone to dentist to have replaced. Since Oct. I have been plagued with sinus infections non stop. Had a bubble on my right eye which was not taken seriously by any dr. It has burst and now my right eye is very red from the inner corner almost to the pupil. I also have another sinus infection on the left. Obviously, I need to see an eye dr. I am also going to see the dentist next week. In the meantime, is there any over-the-counter medication I can use until I see these doctors? Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral antihistaminic medications will help.

Detailed Answer:

I can certainly understand your concern.

I have worked through your query in detail.

Many of your symptoms are directly related to underlying chronic sinusitis.

It's advisable to consider an HRCT Scan of the Paranasal Sinuses to determine further course of action.

Meanwhile a short course of antihistamine medications likely to help you overcome these symptoms.

I generally prescribe oral medication of Levocetirizine and Xylometazoline nasal spray for 3-4 days to my patients with such symptoms.

Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe these medications to you.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care,
Dr. Suresh Heijebu, General & Family Physician

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee