Suggest an effective alternative to Effexor for treatment of depression

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: I took Effexor for a year or so and then it inhibited male urinating severely.
It works better than Wellbutrin for the urinating problem, but
does not relieve depression like Effexor.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try paroxetine or escitalopram

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

If you are not getting good response with wellbutrin(bupropion), then you can try escitalopram or paroxetine. These drugs are equally effective like effexor and do not have urinary side effects. Better to discuss with your physician or psychiatrist for them.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist
Follow up: Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 5 days later
Would you advise me to stop Zoloft and go back to Wellbutrin, which I was on for 3 years, even though it was not very successful.I am sorry if I didn't follow the correct procedure with the question answer technique. I don't have a XXXXXXX phone. I gave you my land line or home phone and I am communicating on my Apple Mac at my office.
I will await your response for my questions and I choose a monthly payment plan so I can find the correct medication that would help me to replace the Effexor which unfortunately caused urinary retention
problems very acutely. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Try either escitalopram or paroxetine

Detailed Answer:
HI

As i have mentioned in my previous answer, better to go for paroxetine or escitalopram. These drugs are better than wellbutrin and do not have side effects like effexor. You would feel better with one of these drugs.

In case, you need further help, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj