Owl Image

Suggest an effective alternative to Atorvastatin

Excellent

Question
i am on a statin, atorvastatin, to keep my cholsterol in check. I would like to stop taking this medication and find a safe alternative supplement to take. I have heard about red yeast rice, but i also read about the side effects. Is there any alternative that doctors would recommend. i watch my diet and i weight train 3x/week along with cardio training.

thx, XXXXXXX
Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Red yeast rice, Vit B12, CO Q

Detailed Answer:

There is no effective alternative to statin. Evidence with RYR is good but not better than statin. Certainly you can skip side effects of statins with RYR. the side effects of RYR are not as bad as statin.
If you already decided then replace with RYR ( RED YEAST RICE) supplement VIT B12 and COQ supplements may be a good combination in place of Statin. As said continue with rich fibre diet and regular exercise for the anti chol program to be better.