Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Suggest an altertative of Deseril for treatment of cluster headaches

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
I'm suffering from a Horton Syndrome for the past 30years, it only occurs a certain time of the year, it normally last for 3-5months. The medicine Deseril I've been using to partly prevent the number of attacks and keeping it fairly under control have now been discontinued by the manufacturer Alliance Pharmaceuticals, any alternative suggestions? I also use Maxalt -MLT when the migraine occurs usually at night which is reasonably effective. Without Deseril it will be very difficult to keep the cluster headaches under control. Thank you XXXX
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Triptans, valproates Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Horton syndrome basically has frequent cluster headaches. Its unfortunate that methisergide (Desiril) is no more available for you. We will have look for the alternatives and among the alternatives I prefer using either Triptans or Valproates in my patients. They do well with these drugs and have a good control of headaches. Sumatriptan can be given ones the headache starts and valproates can be given daily as a prophylaxis of cluster headaches. If your headache do not respond to these drugs as well then the other option for resistant cluster headaches is Amitriptyline. At 25 mg per day it provides a good control for cluster headache. Even Biofeedback therapy provided by psychologist is a good alternative. You may discuss all these options with your neurologist/psychiatrist or physician. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor