Suggest an alternative to breast milk for infant

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: my wife has delivered baby boy 1 day before but her mother milk is not coming in sufficient qty what can be given to new born as substitute of same as I am giving him nestle XXXXXXX milk is it OK
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
mother's milk is best.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
For a one day old baby the thin watery secretions from the breast is the first milk- colostrum and is sufficient to meet the needs of the baby. If you feed him any other substitute your baby will be more prone to the infections. Such a small baby needs just 5-7 ml of milk in each feed. If the baby does not suck from the mother's breast the further secretion of the milk will also be reduced.
As long as the baby is clinging to the breast it means that he is getting the nutrition. If you give the baby a formula milk the baby will stop breast feeding in few days.
Please do not use any milk substitute as this will decrease the baby's immunity and will seriously affect his health.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal