Suggest an alternative to Qsymia

Question
Last year for 3months I took Qsymia, instead of having lapband surgery I had to travel 120 miles to Dr. for ck. and prescription I live in Chillicothe, Ohio 45601 and I went to XXXXXXX , Ohio to Ohio State barometric clinic to the Dr. there I have a nurse practitioner and she says she doesn't know that much about the med and won't prescribe it, what other options do I have in this case without making the long trip I wear a braes and don"t feel comfortable driving that far don't always have someone to take me.
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Pain Management

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Obesity management

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.
First of all, I would like to know your height and weight and what sort of lifestyle or dietary modifications you have adopted for weight loss.
My next consideration is that, both laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) and Qsymia (combination of phentermine and extended-release topiramate) have several adverse effects or associated risks.
Based on these facts, my recommendation is to follow strict dietary guideline and lifestyle modifications, if you don't have morbid obesity or severe obesity associated with comorbidities.
I should also inform you that there are other medications available as well and even as OTC medicine, e.g. Orlistat, that can be taken for temporary management of obesity. But there are several side effects, including gastrointestinal side effects of this drug.
But, again I should remind you two things-
1. Diet and lifestyle modification, including sodium restricted high fibre low calorie diet, devoid of empty calories, and exercise, if possible, are the best method and even required in association with pharmacotherapy or surgical management.
2. Selection of patients for LAGB or other surgery for Obesity management or selection of patients for pharmacotherapy is critical and require expertise too. Hence, it is not prudent to undergo any treatment without a doctor's advice.
For any further information, I need a few information as well-
1. Your height & weight
2. Do you have any medical illness at present (both acute and chronic)? For chronic illness, please mention the duration of illness
3. Do you have any regular medicine?
4. Did you have any significant medical illness or surgery in the past?
5. Do you have any blood reports available with you? If yes, please provide the details.
6. Any history of any medicine allergy
7. Are you following any dietary restriction or lifestyle modification?
If you have any further query, please provide me with the above mentioned information. I shall be happy to help you out.
Regards. Dr. Kaushik