Suggest an alternative to Mirtazapine for depression

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I have been prescribed Mirtazapine for depression. I'm concerned about the side effects. Extreme hunger and drowsiness. I work from home doing complex analysis that needs concentration. Is there anything similar drug that will not cause drowsiness and hunger.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can try escitalopram or paroxetine

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

Mirtazapine is sedative antidepressant. If you are feeling too much drowsiness with it, you can try another antidepressant like paroxetine or escitalopram. These antidepressant are not sedative and would help you to control depressive symptoms. Rest, you can discuss with your doctor.

If you need further help, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist