Suggest an alternative to Mirtazapine for depression

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2014
Jun 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
I have been prescribed Mirtazapine for depression. I'm concerned about the side effects. Extreme hunger and drowsiness. I work from home doing complex analysis that needs concentration. Is there anything similar drug that will not cause drowsiness and hunger.
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can try escitalopram or paroxetine

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

Mirtazapine is sedative antidepressant. If you are feeling too much drowsiness with it, you can try another antidepressant like paroxetine or escitalopram. These antidepressant are not sedative and would help you to control depressive symptoms. Rest, you can discuss with your doctor.

If you need further help, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist