Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Suggest an alternative of Atacand-16 to control BP

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1357 Questions
Yesterday I told about non availability of ATACAND-16 medicine in India which I used to take to control hypertension when I was in some other country. Now I am in India. Yesterday I asked to suggest some alternative medicine through this website I got reply by Dr XXXXXXX through this website which is as follows: Brief Answer: XXXXXXX or candesar Detailed Answer: Hi, Atacand 16mg is available as alternative brands in India. XXXXXXX 16mg, Candesar 16mg or Candelong 16mg are the commonly available brands here. Be rest assured all these medicines contain the same generic formula candesartan. You can take one of these as per your previous doctors instructions. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards Replied by Dr. XXXXXXX , 0 days ago But when I went to purchase the CANDESARTAN as suggested by Dr. XXXXXXX I was told by the pharmasict that CANDESARTAN is now not available in India. He told me that earliar RANBAXY used to manufacture but now their is no medicine of CANDESARTAN is available in India. Hence I once again request to suggest some medicine which control hypertension. My particulars are as follows: 1. Male 2. age 60 yrs 3. height 6 feet 4 weight 112kg. nature of job OFFICE JOB 9AM. TOI 5 PM. Eating habit: non vegetarian /vegetarian location : Delhi, India:
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: You may start Olmesartan for BP control Detailed Answer: Hi friend, Thanks for your query. Several newer drugs- belonging to the same group as Candesartan- are freely available in the market. You may therefore take Olmesartan 40mg (available under several Brand names, such as, Olmat, Olmax, Olmecip, Olmesar- to name a few) once a day initially. Switching over from one drug to another requires adjustment of the dose of the new drug to bring down the BP to within ideal range. Therefore, if your BP remains high with 40mg, the dose may be increased to 80mg. However, I will recommend that- after starting with Olmesartan- you consult a doctor, who will regulate the dose, based on your BP reading. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor