Suggest an alternative medicine to Valacyclovir for genital herpes
Also, how exactly is herpes spread if there is not an outbreak?
Finally, is it more likely that a man or a women would spread the virus easier if there is not an outbreak and condoms and dental dams are not being used?
Valacyclovir being overused
I have worked through your attached query in detail.
Long-term prophylaxis is not available for Herpes.
There seems to be no need for Valacyclovir.
You need antiviral agents only when there is a definitive clinical outbreak.
The cause of the outbreak is: when one of the partners shedding active virus during the sexual act.
Female sex is more at risk of acquiring the Infection in view of a greater surface area of the external genitalia.
Valacyclovir is the best agent known to be effective against herpes. Unfortunately, other therapies are actually inferior to this.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Should I not be using valacyclovir as a suppression therapy?
Can females and males give the virus when there is no outbreak?
Suppression therapy is not advocated
Yes herpetic outbreaks results from stress and other environmental factors. Obviously virus is first aquired through sexual contact.
Outbreaks are unpredictable and can occur even without sexual activity.
There are no recommendations to prevent these unpredictable outbreaks using a suppression therapy.
Viral transmission can still occur between the partners even though there is no active outbreak.
Hence to conclude, considering the unpredictable nature of outbreaks, they should be treated only when there is an active outbreak but not on prophylaxis.
Long-term ingestion of Acyclovir/Valacyclovir will cause kidney and other organs. Hence I don't recommend.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Dr. Suresh Heijebu
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Trimovate cream and genital herpes
- Labia deformities genital herpes
- Diagnosed with genital herpes suggestions
- Genital herpes mode of transmission
- Genital herpes itchy stomach
- Have genital herpes how to treat it suggest
- Suggest treatment for genital herpes
- Oral herpes genital herpes
- Regular outbreaks genital herpes preventative medicine or measure
- Valacyclovir for genital herpes
- Does excessive massage result in temporary nerve damage?
- What is the prognosis for CKD with eGFR of 52?
- Suggest treatment for sore lesions on the chin and buttocks, nausea and...
- What do ingestion, diarrhea and brain fog indicate despite following a...
- Can CFS and de Quervain tenosynovitis increase one's CK levels?
- What causes chronic vomiting after several surgeries around the uterus...
- What causes difficulty in sleeping in an elderly person?
- Suggest ways to lose weight in a healthy manner
- Suggest treatment for persistent sinus infection
- Suggest remedies for swelling and purple bruise around the finger nails