Suggest an alternative medication for Lyrica taken for neuropathic pain in thigh
Not exactly newer but antidepressants may be tried.
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.
In terms of some recent breakthrough medication for neuropathic pain, unfortunately there hasn't been any new addition in later years, no new effective drugs have been developed.
There are though other alternatives apart from anticonvulsants such as lyrics and gabapentin (which are 1st choice drugs anyway). The other option is antidepressants for neuropathic pain. Some representants include Duloxetine and Amitriptyline. These are also 1st line medication and can be tried if Lyrica or Gabapentin are not effective or cause significant side effects.
In case no medication works spinal cord stimulation procedure may be tried, but as it is an invasive procedure (which doesn't offer any guarantees for success) it is reserved only for really extreme cases.
I remain at your disposal for other questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Gabapentin titration for neuropathic pain
- Amitriptyline for neuropathic pain
- Gabapentin dose for neuropathic pain
- Natural treatments for neuropathic pain
- Drugs/medication for Neuropathic pain
- Suggest effective treatment for neuropathic pain
- Suggest treatment for chronic neuropathic pain
- Lidoderm patch for neuropathic pain
- Gabapentin for diabetic neuropathic pain
- Drugs used for neuropathic pain