• question-icon

Suggest an alternative medication for Livolin syrup taken for cough and cold

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Doctor my 2 year 7 month daughter is suffering from cough and cold and congestion is in chest too i am giving livolin syrup but it is not giving any help she is refusing to take any solid food for last four days and only taking milk please help...
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue giving levolin and watch for danger signs

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

Thanks for asking on this platform.
I have gone through your query and understand your concern.

Most common cause of cough/cold and fever in this age is some viral infection.During any illness decrease in appetite is a common finding.
One should take care that baby is getting adequate amount of fluid and required calories.
In most of the cases symptoms start improving after 3-4 days of illness.I would suggest you to continue giving levolin (contains levosalbutamol which decreases airways spasm and thus the respiratory distress).
You may also need to give some anti allergic like cetrizine (dose would be 5 ml for this age once at bed time).Continue giving milk. You may add some supplement like horlicks or pediasure to meet the calories requirement.

Watch for any respiratory distress (very fast breathing,chest retraction),vomiting,drowsiness or decreased urinary output and if you notice any consult your pediatrician.
If fever is no longer a major problem antibiotic is not needed.
If the child is still running fever on 4th day of illness she may need to take some antibiotic.
Consult your pediatrician in case fever is still there.

I hope this helps.
I shall be glad to answer if you have any more query.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology