Suggest an alternative medication for Dulcolax taken for indigestion during pregnancy

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hello doctor,
I m 32 weeks pregnant and having severe wind and flatulence caused by indigestion.I m taking ranitidine,colace(sodium docusate) and simethicone.But they are nor helping.The bigger problem is this constant gas and flatulence is causing me to stay awake all night.If I take dulcolax ,I immediately sleep.I have changed diet,done walking exercising,try to sleep elevated on head.My doctor asks me to take benadryl for sleep but I dont want to take it as it is habit forming and my sleep problem is digestion related.So is there any safe medication for indigestion and wind apart from dulcolax as I dont think dulcolax is safe.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dietary modifications will help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

Severe indigestion is a chronic problem and prevention is the best treatment. It usually gets aggravated during pregnancy. The main factors responsible for indigestion are-

1. Overeating.     
2. Eating hurriedly without chewing properly.
3. Food allergies like beans, onions, etc.
4. Lack of exercise.
5. Improperly cooked food.

Try to avoid all these causative factors.
Avoid overindulging in alcohol(which I'm quite certain that you're not in to), drinking carbonated beverages or eating while stressed, since all of these can just worsen the problems

•     Eat papaya.(contains an enzyme called papain), Apple cider vinegar, eating an ounce of almonds, etc will help.
•     For treatment of indigestion- Pineapple juice, lemon juice, ginger juice, grapes, etc may be taken after every meal for relief. Do continue taking antacids and digestive enzymes on regular basis for relief.

You can use Activated charcoal (Charcocaps). These will absorb the excess gas produced. Foods that commonly cause gas are: Broccoli, Brussels, sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Corn, Potatoes, Wheat & lactose. Try to reduce their intake. Avoid constipation by taking high fiber foods and plenty of fluids.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
Hello doctor,
Thank you for your reply.
Does the apple cider vinegar has to be pasteurized.I have a bottle at home which says ultrafiltered.
I ll try all the above things as you have said,but if someday I need to have duclolax 5 mg once in a while will it cause problem for the fetus.I have heard it can cause some meconium problem with babies in last trimester.Please let me know .I can manage with constipation but sleep is something that I cant go without and I don't want to take benadryl.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can use it once in a while.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear , welcome back,
Thanks for writing in again.

Apple cider vinegar does not need a pasteurization. You can use the ultrafiltered one.

Taking Dulcolax 5 mg once in a while is not harmful. Dulcolax is a stimulant laxative and is safe for use during pregnancy.

In late third trimester too much use can aggravate premature labor pains. Do the dietary modifications and avoid constipation at all costs. You can also use Benadryl once in a while to reduce the sleeplessness.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 hours later
Hello doctor,

Extremely Sorry for further query,but just now I learned that dulcolax has two types one is bisacodyl and other one is docusate sodium which is called dulcolax pink.I took the bisacodyl form.Hope the bisacodyl form is not harmful for the fetus at 32 weeks.

Thank you so much for your help.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bisacodyl is safe.

Detailed Answer:
Bisacodyl form is not harmful. Do not worry. But it is best to prefer docusate sodium for future use as it has a comparatively milder effect on intestinal motility.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thank you so much doctor.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thank you.
I am happy I could help.
Please do recommend our services to others too in case you found them helpful. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Wishing you the best in whatever you do.
Best regards.