Suggest an alternate medicine for Valacyclovir taken for HSV

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I am a 75 year old extraordinarily healthy man with with lots of gym time and long distance biking,recently divorced with both partners having had herpes for over 20 years.For the past year I have been taking 1 gram of Valacyclovir daily.I have had one breakout in that time period early on.I have no side affects from the 1 gram treatment.Is there a more powerful treatment that i can honestly tell my partner that i have the the virus under control and the odds are that the transmission is effective for her safety.Thank you for your response.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
No better drug is available for treatment of HSV other than existing drugs

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Herpes Simplex infection type 2 is an STD, but a minor STD and not life threatening one. Thousands of people with HSV 2 are living happily with their spouses without much difficulty. Drugs like Acyclovir, Famcyclovir, and Valcyclovir are effective against HSV, but can not eliminate the virus from the body. Continuous sub-therapeutic doses of these drugs can prolong the symptom free period for years. Bu no other known drug can totally prevent the recurrences, if discontinued. Some individuals fortunately will not have recurrences after few years.
DR S.Murugan