Suggest an alternate medicine for Seroxat taken for anxiety and depression

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Iam suffering from anxiety depression.on seroxet for 13 years .20 ml.now does not seem to work.should I change my medication.am suffering
my YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,
Thanks for using Health care magic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

It is common observation among antidepressant users that a medicine which was effective earlier loses efficacy for the individual and seroxet is one among the medications.

In case of loss of efficacy we have two options which are commonly employed.

First to increases the dose. Since seroxet can be used upto 60 mg in individual person there is large scope to increase the dose of seroxet in your case. It can be increased to 30 mg a day and I hope that will be effective for you.

The second option is to change the medication. We have currently more than 50 of antidepressants and after discussing with your doctor you can decide the one suitable for your profile. This option should be exercised if there is problem with side effects of earlier medication.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 44 hours later
Is it better to change the medication or increase seroxet dose.which one will be less suffering.i have high bp And mild diabetes as well.my three weeks are good three weeks again anxiety.then again after two three years I will need to increase.is that so.my bp goes very high and low.scary.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Increasing the dose can be a better option

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

Considering your good response in past and no side effects with paroxetine I feel increasing dose can be a better option.

High bp and mild diabetes are independent diseases and nothing to do with paroxetine. They need independent treatment.

I hope this assists you further.
Thanks and regards.