Suggest an OTC for reducing phlegm in a left side deficit patient due to stroke?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 21 Sep 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My mother is 70, is left side deficit due to a stroke in 2004, and is unable to perform certain tasks, like clearing her throat, etc. The cold has been going around and she seems to have caught it. The coughing is minimal, and there is no temperature, but I can hear rattling in her breathing as she sleeps. Is there anything OTC that I should giver her to help reduce the phlegm?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Nebulizer with Aeroline.

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

Yes I can understand your concern and I am sorry about her situation.

As you explain the history she needs some treatment.

Usually in such conditions of patients with these problems nebulizer with Aeroline might help her better than OTC medications.

I recommend you to continue the mucolitics (Mucinex) she is currently taking and she needs a lot of water too.

If she will not get better after some days probably she will be examined by her doctor closely to be safe and sure

I wish a fast recovery for her.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Jnikolla, Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana