Suggest an OTC alternative for Niacin ER

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My new insurance will not cover Niacin ER. Is there a over the counter that is just as good, I know that it is a B vitamin.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can find under the name of Niaspan or Niacor...

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

Now, Niacin ER when taken in high dose will help reduce high cholesterol levels. It might be used for depression and cases of niacin deficiency/pellagra. You can ask for Niacin sold over the counter under the name of Niaspan or Niacor.

So, I need to know first your primary diagnosis for which you were prescribed Niacin, then, can discuss for treatment alternatives.

Thank you.
Dr.Albana

Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 41 minutes later
Cholesterol and 1000 mg
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for providing a few more details.

I understand you have high cholesterol problems, but, I need to know at what level your cholesterol and other lipid numbers are: so we can decide for best management strategy.

If slightly elevated, therapeutic lifestyle changes are enough to keep the numbers within acceptable range.
Furthermore, I also recommend my patients herbal supplements to lower high cholesterol numbers containing the extract of flaxseed oil, red yeast rice, plant sterols, etc.

Next, you can find Niacin 1000 mg over the counter under various trade names including those mentioned earlier.

All the best.
Dr.Albana