Suggest alternative treatment for piles

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 26 Sep 2014 in Lump
Question: I visited a surgeon today for piles. I didnt knew that I have developed a piles. the doctor says it is in the first stage and not alarming and he left the choice for surgery on me. He suggests that I can easily manage 4-5 years without surgery and I can go for a surgery only if I am travelling abroad. I also heared that piles can disappear automatically. Is there any alternative treatment for piles?
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
usually surgery is not needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

For stage1 piles usually surgery is not adviced. It is most of the time managed with medications.

Yes piles may disappeare completely. But chances of recurrence also is more if constipation or straining at stools is not treated.

You may try medication like ointment containing xylocaine, zinc, steroid and calcium dobusalate and do sitz bath and take a laxative. You may discuss this with your doctor.

Usually 1st stage piles are well controlled by this.

Get follow up examination done after 1 month to see the response. In 90% they may regress completely.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T