Suggest alternative treatment for fibromyalgia

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: What can I do for fibromyalgia? I have done some research, so I know about Lyrica, hot baths, massages, etc., but: what about herbs and supplements?
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
natural herbs and supplements

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for contacting with your health concern.

1. As Fibromyalgia is not an inflammatory condition, and because there is no identifiable cause thus treatment is symptomatic, as a result both pharmacological and non pharmacological measures are used as adjuvant to get a good control of pain and extended symptom free period, such as:

. Relaxation and stress management [stress is trigger response to fibromyalgia symptoms], thus yoga & Pranayama are helpful

. Physiotherapy: wax massage, ultrasound/infra red technique to minimize pain.

. Diet rich in omega 3 is considered helpful in alleviating fibromyalgia symptoms. [since it helps in creating prostaglandins which helps in reducing inflammation]: flaxseed oil,fatty fish,flaxseeds

DIET

i. Avoid phenylalanine derived food which may trigger/mimic fibromyalgia symptoms: meat,eggs,fish,cheese, products containing aspartame, almonds, beef,legumes, nuts,peanuts, pork, pumpkin/sesame seeds, soyabean/flour, caffeine,yogurt,cocoa,hot-spicy-fried food(s)

Take: vegetable soups/juices, coconut water/milk,pumpkin,ginger,coriander, fennel seeds,asafoetida,garlic,ensure proper hydration

ii. As the condition is associated with magnesium deficiency, thus take green leafy vegetables,almonds,soybean

iii. In Ayurveda we consider/manage the disease under 'Mans-Medo Gat Vaat', thus prescription medicines available are: chandraprabha vati, navak guggulu, trifla kwath,panchskar churan, navkarshik guggulu.

PS. you may opt for DLPA (D-L-phenylalanine) which is not habit forming, and has no known side effects, and is available in health food stores.

iv. as the disease occurs due to imbalance of 'VATA' [the physiological energy responsible for stability and activity of nervous system] which leads to build up of toxins [AMA] in this auto immune condition thus detoxification becomes necessary thus herbs which are useful in this condition is/are:

. Gugull [commiphora mukul]
. ginger [gingiber officinale]
. shallaki [boswellia serrata]
. ashwagandha [withania somnifera]
. giloy [tinospora cordifolia]

PS. check with a qualified Ayurveda Physician and take the dose as recommended since you are already suffering from major health problems

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant Physician
Naimittika

direct online link: bit.ly/drmunishsood
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee