Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Suggest alternative treatment apart from muscle relaxer for torn ligament in right leg

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3190 Questions
Lack my calf at the gym right leg went to see a doctor . torn ligament prescribe muscle relaxer my legs feel very stiff why the muscle relaxer does not help I have to tell you I go to the gym everyday I did stop for about a month .i do not feel better my daily live is like a struggle no matter what I do my legs are stiff I do stretch please help me
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Will need Ultrasound scan to assess severity Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day I presume you meant torn ligament of gastronemeus muscle of the calf. If torn ligament is suspected clinically,ideally it should be managed with following measures 1. Absolute bed rest till pain subside 2. Analgesic like Ibuprofen will be very helpful to relieve pain. 3. Hot water fomentation 4. Limb elevation-placing the limb on.pillows will help reduce Oedema Normal gradual movements are normally started only after there is improvement in pain, early resumption of physical activity may cause soreness and stiffness. If the tear is severe or the pain is more it's important to completely immobile the calf by application of Plaster of Paris slab. As you still have stiffness and persistent complaints, I would suggest you to get Ultrasound scan of calf region to know the severity of ligament injury and whether it's healed, suggest you to see your Orthopedician to discuss it. Also adequate rest, hot water fomentation will be useful measures. Wishing you a happy and healthy life. Wishing you a speedy recovery I hope it helped Would be glad to assist you if you need any further assistance. Take care Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX MBBS,MS, MCH
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor