Suggest alternative pain medication that counteracts constipation

Posted on Thu, 8 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi

I am scheduled for hip replacement surgery next Monday. My concern is that I have IBS-C and almost every pain pill causes constipation. Do you know of any pain relievers that might help the post-op pain without triggering severe constipation. Thanks, XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
IBS- constipation predominant, Aceclofenac

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The NSAID or pain medication that I would recommend would be aceclofenac or beta piroxicam. NSAIDs can lead to constipation in a number of patients. Plus the IBS which is constipation predominant will further fuel it. A good way to counter this would be to start tab eucarbon containing a mild laxative in addition to charcoal. It has the added benefit of being an IBS drug. Along with the pain medications , pro kinetics such as itopride or metoclopramide can be added for adequate bowel movements. Ispaghula husk with ensure milk can also maintain soft stool with regular bowel evacuation. You may discuss these options with your treating physician.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil