Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Suggest alternative medicines to cure Leigh's Syndrome?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 822 Questions
I am looking for a cure to Leigh's Syndrome. My nephew was just diagnosed with it, he is a 6 yr old boy. They found this out. What do you know about what can be done, alternative medicines would be our first choice!
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

Sorry to hear about your nephew.I can feel your concerns.

Leigh's syndrome is basically a genetic disorder that involves central nervous system.
A high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet is recommended in this disorder.moreover frequent meals at regular intervals is advised.

Unfortunately there is no specific treatment for XXXXXXX disease. your nephew can use several different vitamins including vitamin B1 (thiamine), vitamin B2 (riboflavin) after consulting your doctor.This may result in a improvement of the symptoms and slightly slow the progress of the disease.

Oral sodium bicarbonate or sodium citrate can be used to manage lactic acidosis in this condition after consulting your doctor.

I am available for your help.

Wishing him a good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor