question-icon

Suggest alternative medication other than Niacin to effectively treat high LP (a)

Posted on Sat, 6 Oct 2018
Question: My understanding is that high lp(a) should be reduced with niacin and that statins don’t help. I’m sensitive to niacin and fainted previously from taking one. Are there other alternatives? My # is 199.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap (30 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Long term statin therapy does help in reducing LP (a).

Detailed Answer:

After going through the medical details provided by I understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that long term statin therapy does help in reducing lp(a).

Whats the dose of crestor you are taking and when was the last time you checked your cholesterol profile?

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap (3 hours later)
Had my cholestral checked a couple weeks ago, when they found the high Lpa. Take the lowest dose of Crestor as I have neuropathy in my feet and legs from statin use.
What’s a safe dose of niacin to start out with as Mayo says that’s the only good treatment to lower Lpa.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap (59 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

50 mg

Detailed Answer:

The lowest dose that you can start with is 50 mg tablet taken once a day.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Bhanu Partap, Cardiologist
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist