Suggest alternative medication in place of Prolia

Posted on Tue, 29 Nov 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 82 years old and have osteoporosis. Received a half portion of Prolia last XXXXXXX Had lots of side effects. Should I even think about taking another dose this December. Is there any other med that I could take without the severe side effects? Also had thyroid surgery in XXXXXXX 2016. Removed 2 parathyroid that caused low calcium in my bones and sent to my blood.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bisphosphonates will be appropriate

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the query.

At the age of 82,severe osteoporosis is expected and sensitivity to strong medicines should be kept in mind. Prolia,is a pretty strong medicines and you should be avoiding it.

Instead you can use Bisphosphonate group of drugs like ibandronate,residronate etc ,which are generally considered safe. These are available in various strengths and can be taken once weekly or monthly, as tolerated.

Apart from this,Vitamin D3 and calcium tablets should be taken daily as a adjunctive therapy.

Yoga and exercises ,preferably done in early morning sunlight will help you keep the bones stronger.

I hope this answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any further doubts that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. REMY KOSHY
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon