Suggest alternative medication in place of Livalo

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I TAKE LIVALO FOR CHOLESTEROL. THE OTHER DRUGS I TRIED, STATIN DRUGS I BELIEVE, MADE ME HURT LIKE I HAVE THE FLU. MY INSURANCE IS GIVING ME A FIT ABOUT LIVALO & I HAVE TO PAY $250 FOR IT. IS THERE ANOTHER DRUG SIMILAR TO LIVALO? THANKS
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, i would explain that although statins are effective at lowering high cholesterol levels, it is true that they may be associated with important adverse effects which not rarely force their stop.

Also, Livalo is a statins member. It is necessary to be careful while using similar drugs about any potential adverse effects most commonly myalgias, myopathy, increased liver and muscle enzymes, etc.

Periodic lab tests should be done, especially when suggestive clinical symptomatology is present.

A rationale alternative would be to try herbals with lipid lowering properties.

Herbs like artichoke leaf extract (Cynara scolymnus), oats, green tea, barley, garlic, rye; fruits such as apples, prunes, and berries; legumes, etc. could be a nice substitute for the above mentioned drugs.

In such way, the potential for adverse occurrence would be diminished and a more natural profile of hypercholesterolemia treatment would be maintained.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri