Suggest alternative medication for Nifedipine taken for calcium channel blockers
I would recommend as follows:
Hello again, dear XXXXXXX
I am glad to discuss with you again and be helpful to you.
Regarding your concern, let me explain that there are no ideal drugs for hypertension, as each of them has potential adverse effects more pronounced in certain individual.
When I explained you about about alternative (to Nifedipine) calcium channel blockers I mentioned drugs like Amlodipine and Lercanidipine, because they have a much lower prevalence of such an adverse effect compared to Nifedipine.
In fact, gingival hyperplasia has been prescribed to be present in around 14% to 83% of patients treated with Nifedipine (the frequency differs according to several observational studies), meanwhile Amlodipine and Lercanidipine have a significantly much lower prevalence of such adverse effect (gingival hyperplasia).
I personally would try any of these two alternatives first.
Nevertheless, as your periodontist doesn't prefer any other calcium channel blockers alternative, let me suggest you to focus on another effective antihypertensive drug class, such as alpha-1 receptor blockers (alpha-1 antagonists), like Doxazosin, Prazosin, Terazosin.
As you are actually taking one of them (Doxazosin), I recommend you considering a dose increase.
You are taking 4 mg daily so you need to increase its dose gradually (usual dose range 1-16 mg once daily).
After having the first dose the subsequent increases are made at bedtime to avoid syncope.
Is is strongly recommended that you follow your attending doctor advice and take the drug under close medical supervision.
You need to discuss with your doctor on the above mentioned issues.
In case of any further uncertainties feel free to ask me again.
Meanwhile, I remember you to check all the above mentioned lab tests mentioned in our previous thread.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Drugs/medication for calcium allergy
- On ibuprofen for inflammation due to arthritis suggest alternative medication
- Inflammation in ribs prescribed with ultram suggest alternative medication
- Calcium deposits scalp uk medical
- Suggest alternative medications for treatment of diabete
- Drugs/medication for calcium deficiency
- Drugs/medication for calcium cysts
- Suggest alternative medication for cough
- Suggest medication to be taken before conceiving
- Suggest alternative of soma pain medication
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?