Suggest alternative medication for Neurotin taken for burning pain in anus
I have taken Neurontin ever since and it doesn't seem to help anymore. What do you suggest
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.
You seem to have forgotten to mention what type of surgery you've had, but I will assume there is some damage to the lumbar or sacral nerve roots which do manifest with such pain.
Now Neurontin is generally an appropriate treatment, it is considered a first line one. If it is not effective anymore one option might be to increase the dosage.
Among other medications which could be tried might be Lyrica (Pregabalin) which is also an anticonvulsant used for neuropathic pain.
The other main 1st line option is antidepressants used for neuropathic pain such as Duloxetin, may even be used in combination with Neurontin.
If such 1st line options are not effective enough additional treatment with another pain killer like Tramadol, an opioid, may be considered.
Among non medication options some patients have had at times good results with TENS (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) or acupuncture, although there are not enough studies for those, the evidence is scarce.
I remain at your disposal for other questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest medication for back pain
- Suggest medication for nerve pain
- Suggest pain medication when on bp medications
- Suggest medication for pain in toe
- Suggest medication for muscle pain
- Suggest medication for pain and burning sensation during urination
- Suggest medication for liver pain
- Suggest medication for period pains
- Suggest medication for abdominal pain
- Suggest alternative of soma pain medication