• question-icon

Suggest alternative medication for Midodrine with less side effects

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Elderly Problems
Question: My name is XXXXXXX XXXX 85 yrs old on Dialysis I was prescribed MIdodrine 5mg due to Blood Pressure dropping to 82/52 each time that I started treatment My blood pressure did go up 10 point with 2 Midodrines however I can not stand the side effects, headaches, unable to urinate dizzy no sleep an very uncomfortable Blood Preasure is now jumping from 97 /50 to 105/ 60 still very uncomfortable. Drank 2 Cups of Coffee and feel some confort but Blood pressure remains almost the same with pulse at 85. what can I do to increase my blood pressure steady to about 125/60
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Excersice , salt and fluid intake

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir , I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but unfourtanetly the doses of medical treatment you are taking cannot be increased further but you should increase the salt content of your diet to help increase your blood pressure , also you increase your fluid intake to 2-3 liters daily with regular daily walking for 15-30 minutes to help improve your blood circulation . I hope I answered your question . if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
DR. Slash Shoman Re; blood Pressure BY XXXXXXX XXXX thanks for your Answer However I am only allowed 3 Ltrs of water per day total and they remove them during Dialysis and I can only walk 3Minuets total and even at that I start having Chest pains and Dizziness however I did not tell you that before , so your answers in correct Thank you. what I want to know now is, what Medication is there that will elevate my blood pressure with out those terrible side effects?
Thank you
XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Home dialysis

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

you can consider other classes of medications that can increase blood pressure as norepinephrine (Levophed), phenylephrine (vazolep), droxidopa (Northera), ephedrine (akovaz). you may also consider home dialysis ( peritoneal dialysis ) which will not cause the side effect of hypotension and you will not need fluid restriction either.

I hope you find this helpful. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman