Suggest alternative medication for Lexapro 30 MG

Psychiatrist
Question
I'm on Lexapro 30 MG now. Very expensive. The generic Lexapro does not work for me.

Is there an anti-depression med that works as well as Lexapro that perhaps doesn't cost as much. Please know...I've tried the generic Lexapro and it just doesn't work for me.

I have been on Lexapro since I had a massive brain bleed in 2007. The only med that has worked for me is 30 MG of Lexapro...which is extremely expensive. Is there a new anti-depression med that works as good as Lexapro but costs less.
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Eating Disorders

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please provide symptom details

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,
Thanks for contacting healthcaremagic.

I understand your cost concern about lexapro and agree that it is very costly if to be paid from pocket.
The only exact alternative available in the US is cipralex which is I guess equally costly. Despite this please check with your pharmacist the direct cost of Cipralex to you. If it is cheaper you can replace Lexapro by cipralex.

The other alternative which is less costly and have almost similar chemical formula along with efficacy and safety is Celexa which is much cheaper in compare to Lexapro.

If you have already tried it and it did not work for you than you can post detailed symptoms for which you were prescribed lexapro. Also narrate the details of other medicines with doses and duration so I can suggest alternative anti depressant which might work for you.

Please post in detail so a proper impression can be made to suggest a cheaper alternative.
Thanks and best regards
Dr Ashok