Suggest alternative medication for Lantus

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Diabetes
Question: I am currently taking 55 units of lantus daily. I no longer have insurance and need to change to something cheap like humulin U. what should my dosage be to start out. I know I will need to monitor my blood sugar and make adjustments.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About switching from lantus to NPH;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!

The dose of lantus you are taking actually is high and will be difficult to have normal blood sugars with humulin.

If the fasting glucose level is normal with 55 UI lantus, you will need to convert it unit per unit but divide the dose twice daily (50-50 or 70% in the morning and 30% in the evening) depending on the blood sugar.

You should know that the risk for hypoglycemia is higher with Humulin N compared to lantus.

Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj