Suggest alternative medication for Furosemide that does not cause low BP

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 23 Jul 2018 in Kidney Conditions
Question: My doctor says I have water retention and prescribes Furosemide.
My body seems to reyect it because of the blood pressure lowering effect
I there any other prescrription without the pressure lowering side effect?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no such treatments...

Detailed Answer:

furosemide as all diuretics will lower the blood pressure. There is no drug that may relieve water retention without lower the blood pressure. Since you've had pulmonary edema you should take for granted that your heart is indeed weaker than it used to be regardless of how you feel about it. The water retention is not the cause that your heart is weak. It's actually the result of it. A weak heart cannot manage fluid properly, therefore fluid tends to accumulate in tissues including the legs, the lungs, etc. In such cases diuretics are of utmost importance regarding treatment.

If your blood pressure is low then perhaps a very low furosemide dosage can be tried (something like 20mg every other day or so). Avoiding salt intake may also help.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!