Suggest alternative for Zosyn

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
what would be a 'tablet' alternative for Zosyn? I have what appears to be a breast infection. In 2012, I was hospitalized for a bowel obstruction and while there, was given Zosyn. When I was released, the breast infection had *almost* disappeared. Since then, it's 'come back'. I also have Phyllodes. The doctor prescribed Bactrim and the infection began to subside. But the treatment ended after 7 days - before the infection had been completely cleared. Now I've been put back on Bactrim and it's no longer effective. So I'd like to know if there's as strong an antibiotic as Zosyn, but in tablet form.
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get a culture and sensitivity done.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
A warm welcome to Healthcare magic.
I understand your concern.
As we all know, an infection is always due to a microorganism. It is necessary to find out the responsible organism. Because the antibiotics that can kill the particular organism may differ. So my advice at this point will be to meet your consulting surgeon/doctor. Discuss about sending a sample to microbiology laboratory for culture and sensitivity. Use an antibiotic based on the report. Antibiotic resistance will be a concern, if used without documented laboratory evidence.

Thank you so much for asking your querry to us. I will be happy to solve more querries, if it is there. Have a nice day.

Follow-up: Suggest alternative for Zosyn 13 minutes later
How is a culture done? And if Zosyn worked so well after 5 days of it done intravenously, I'd still like to know *if* there's a tablet equivalent? Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Visit your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome back.
Culture is done identify the bacteria causing infection. I t will be very clearly explained, if you visit your doctor. The site of infection has to be determined. A sample from the infection site has to be sent to bacteriology laboratory taking all aseptic precaution. Rest of the work will be done by lab. The report will say what is the organism and what are the antibiotics those can to kill it. If one uses antibiotic blindly, without knowing the identity of an organism, it may go waste and there is chances of resistance development. Zosyn is actually Piperacillin + Tazobactam. It is available only for intravenous use.

So my final advice is to visit your doctor. Get a culture and antbiotic sensitivity done. Take antibiotic accordingly. You may get some other antibiotic , which can kill the organism
Thans a lot. Have a nice day.