Suggest alternative for Citalopram

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I want to stop taking citalopram. I've been on it for 5 yrs. it's made me gain weight and I feel miserable. I was taking 10 mg a day and now up to 20. what's the best way to quit
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Shift over to another drug

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I understand that you want to stop Citalopram but the only way to go about it is by starting another drug from the same class of drugs called the SSRI.
I recommend that you approach your psychiatrist to shift over to Fluoxetine or Escitalopram. These drugs have to be started at a small dose initially and at the same time Citalopram dose should be reduced.

If you want to be completely off all drugs then I suggest you approach your psychiatrist to slowly taper the drug off over 8 to 12 weeks after assessing you clinically whether or not you can be completely off the drug

I hope I was of help

Regard