Suggest alternate treatment to carpal tunnel syndrome?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: Is there an alternate treatment to carpal tunnel syndrome. My husband 76 just had the test to confirm that was the problem but is uncertain about undergoing surgery. Thank you, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX -- E-Mail- YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 36 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by medial nerve compression in the carpal tunnel. Above this nerve there is a ligament which creates a kind of cap separating it from surrounding tissues. And this ligament is located close to the hand surface and can be easily reached.
There are several ways of this syndrome treatment, like steroids injections, splints and surgery. From all methods, surgery is the most effective. Other like injections or splints temporarily make the pain go away.

You need to know that carpal tunnel surgery is not a serious procedure and its really worth to try. Due to this surgery mentioned before ligament is cut so there is more space in the carpal tunnel. Whole surgery takes about 15 minutes and after few hours the patient can be discharged from the hospital.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
How long does it take to recuperate and get back to normal activity and can they operate on both hands in the same surgery ?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
After 2 days from the surgery a patient should start moving with the fingers. Stitches are removed 7-10 days after the surgery. The hand should rest and not be overloaded for approximately 4 weeks. So after 4 weeks patient can get back to regular activity.
As this surgery is performed under regional anesthesia (usually an injection is done in the brachial plexus area) usually one hand can be operated at one time. It all depends from the Clinic habits as technically it is possible to operate two hands. But it is more reasonable to do one of hands and wait for proper healing.

Hope this will help.
Regards.