Suggest alternate over the counter medication for Zirgan

Posted on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My friend is unable to find a pharmacy that carries Zirgan 0.15% ophthalmic gel. He lives in XXXXXXX NJ, his ophthalmologist is in NYC. He has been taking it for a long time but pharmacies seem to have run out of stock. Can you help? He needs to refill his Rx ASAP. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is no use continuing it on and on.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Zirgan (ganciclovir ophthalmic gel) 0.15% is a prescription medicine. It is an antiviral medication usually used to treat cytomegalovirus infections and should not be continued for long periods of time. I would need to ask about the specific reasons / complaints for which he is continuing to apply it. Based on your inputs I could guide you further.

Since it is a prescription medicine it cannot be procured by other means. But I am quite certain that I can help you with other alternatives that should help in resolving the complaints your friend has.

I will await your response.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 15 hours later
You have not addressed my question. I want to tell my friend where in our area he can get his prescription filled. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no other way other than a direct search.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry that I cannot help you with this information. No one can have a inventory database for the pharmacies of your area and so only a direct pharmacy to pharmacy search is the only option. However, I could help you to discern whether the medicine is at all needed. Based on my understanding I can tell you that it is unwise to continue an antiviral on and on.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha