question-icon

Suggest alternate over the counter medication for Pulmicort

Posted on Sat, 14 May 2016
Question: I am emphasima patient. Medicare no longer co ers Pulmicort 90 or lower dosage inhaler. Am still taking prescribed Spiriva ,but am struggling without the twice a day dose of Pulmicort. Can you suggest a substitute that MEDICARE DOES COVER?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Steroid inhalers

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

I am sorry to hear that your prescription plan no longer covers pulmicort. The formulary for medicare is different throughout the US so I can't actually tell you which medication is covered. your local pharmacy or your doctor whould be able to find one that is covered. The list of inhaled steroids for asthma are Flovent and Qvar. There is also combination medications with steroids, advair, symbicort and dulera. SO I would recommend discussing this with your pharmacist and then with your doctor so you can be covered with your controller steroid inhaler.

In summary
1. Steroid inhalers Flovent and Qvar
2. Combination Steroid with dilator advair, symbicort and dulera

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions

Dr. Ronald Schubert