Suggest alternate over the counter medication for Methylphenidate

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in ADHD
Question: My grand daughter was put on Concerta. She is 6 years old. This medication seemed to work for her. BUT the cost is way above what my daughter can pay. 210.00 after insurance. They put her on the methylphenidate 2 x a day. It is not working. Is there a program to help with this medication payment.
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
State Aid Programs

Detailed Answer:
In most states in the U.S. there is the MEDICAID or State Medical Card program to which your daughter can either apply directly if she is of age or if she is a minor you can apply for her. The other medical aid program that your daughter may be eligible to apply for would be SSI which is a form of Medicare coverage for people who are less than the age of 65 but who have a debilitating or congenital condition that needs immediate and long term medical treatment or intervention. If she were on SSI then, she should definitely get her drug costs covered.

Another possibility that many drug companies themselves offer would be what are referred to as COMPASSIONATE programs or INDIDGENT programs for people who are financially challenged and cannot afford to pay out of pocket even if they had insurance. In those cases you on behalf of your daughter or your daughter herself could apply directly to the pharmaceutical makers of CONCERTA for a rating or special considerations to have a waiver in place so that she may get the drug DIRECTLY FROM the manufacturer. Her doctor will likely have to fill out some paperwork for something like this....or there may be forms online that can be filled out.

If your daughter is currently in school then, either the school counselor or school nurse may know about such programs and could possibly facilitate you or she to line you up to get consideration.

Finally, you may also ask the doctor if they have samples in their office that they are willing to give to her on a monthly basis or if they'd be willing to ask their CONCERTA representatives to leave a supply for you (some drug reps will do this) to use for the doctor's special financial needs patients and see what they say.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 15 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.