Suggest alternate over the counter medication for Benzonatate
A combination of a cough suppressant and an expectorant
Thank you for using HCM to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.
Benzonatate is a medication that suppresses the cough. Sometimes to stop the cough is not needed only a cough suppressant but also a cough expectorant.
What I would recommend is a combination of Guaifenesin 200 mg every 4 hours together with Dextromethorphan 10 mg every 4 hours. You may find in the local pharmacy a combination of both which will save the problem of using them separately.
You may have cough for 1-2 weeks after this infection. The medicines will make you feel better, but cough is a compensatory mechanism to help clean the lungs, so it will need some time for it to stop- the time for the lungs to regenerate.
If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor, expecially after 72 hours of starting azithromycin. If it is not working means that you may be resistant to it and the doctor may need to switch to something else which you are sensitive from.
Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.
Otherwise please close and rate the answer.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Amigdalitis over the counter medication
- Over the counter medication for poison ivy
- Arthritis medications over the counter
- Side effect of over the counter medication
- Over counter medications cellulitis
- Over the counter adhd medication
- Usages of over the counter medication
- Suggest alternative medication for cough
- Over the counter antifungal medication
- Over the counter medication for vertigo