Suggest alternate over the counter medication for Adderall

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Thank you for your quick response to my question. I tried having my adderall written prescription filled at a walgreen's and even though it is still valid, they said a WA prescription cannot be filled in CA. Can you think of any alternatives OTC? Or any other advice would be much appreciated. I have been prescribed this medication since college and went through my younger years undiagnosed-just to give you a background.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Private Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thank you so much for using my direct private service.

This is indeed a complicated situation. Over the counter supplements such as zinc and fish oil have been shown in some studies to improve concentration and attention.

However, a stimulant medication is your best bet. The best thing to do would be to call your insurance company, which is obliged to provide you with a list of doctors in your area who take your insurance company and are available to see you for an evaluation and prescription. This is what I would recommend you do to get the treatment you need.

Dr. Sheppe
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee