Suggest alternate medicine for Pregabalin in treating neuropathic pain in cancer patients

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi,
What pain relief medications are suitable as an adjunct to pregabalin spinal cancer?
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Breakthrough Cancer pain is VERY CHALLENGING to treat

Detailed Answer:
Very sorry to hear that your BIL is suffering from metastatic bony lesions. In oncology this is one of the most challenging and difficult forms of Cancer Pain to adequately treat. Breakthroughs are constantly occurring and often do not really involve specific triggers, etc.

Here is a list of commonly employed drugs for this type of pain. You will want to ask either the surgeon or anesthesiologist opinions directly from them as to their preferences for breakthrough pain.

1. sublingual ketamine (high potential for addiction)
2. High dose and frequent corticosteroid infusions either manually or by your symptoms.
3. Levobupivicaine (anesthetic)
4. Xgeva (preventative used in conjunction with PAIN MEDICATIONS in order to avoid bone fractures and compressions which can escalate pain level).
5. Oxcarbazepine, Phenytoin, Carbamazepine, Nortriptyline, Amitriptyline, Lamotrigine, and Topiramate

Best of luck.

I hope these suggestions satisfactorily address your question and give some additional information you can discuss with your doctor for how to attack this problem. If so, may I ask your favor of a HIGH STAR RATING with some written feedback?

Also, if there are no other comments, may I ask you not forget to CLOSE THE QUERY on your end so the question can be transacted and archived for further reference by colleagues as necessary?

You are invited to direct more comments or inquiries to me in the future by going to my web address at:

bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi

I would be honored to answer you quickly and comprehensively.

Please keep me informed as to the outcome of your situation.

The query has required a total of 19 minutes of physician specific time to read, research, and compile a return envoy to the patient.