Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

195 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest alternate medication for Glipizide

Answered by
Dr. Ivo Ditah

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 3914 Questions

Posted on Fri, 12 Oct 2018 in General Health
Question: My doctor has recently switched me from metformin to glipizide.It seems to be ineffective. Should I request another medication?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What were your blood sugars then and now?
Why were you switched?

Detailed Answer:

1. Kindly report your fasting blood sugars to me, before and after the switch.

2. Why was Metformin is discontinued? Was it related to a side effect or because blood sugars were not well controlled?

3. If it is because sugars were not well controlled, this is not correct as adding Glipizide is the recommendation and not replacing Metformin.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Ivo Ditah,
Internal Medicine Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on