question-icon

Suggest a treatment for an aggravated allergy on the left hand after the application of Benzoyl Peroxide Gel 5% on an elbow

Posted on Wed, 8 Aug 2018
Question: Hello, Three months ago, there was a mosquito bite on his left hand elbow. Due to itching he scratched and it spread across the elbow.
Often, he applied Benzoyl Peroxide Gel - 5%, but there is no change rather it increased the allergy to his hand. Please see attached pics and prescribe medicines.

Tripura
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (34 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antifungals

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images.

Seems like a fungal infection.
I suggest you to apply an antifungal cream e.g either luliconazole 1 %cream (Lulifin cream) Or sertaconazole 2%cream (Onabet cream), twice daily for 2 weeks.
In addition I suggest you to take an oral antifungal e.g tab Terbinafine 250mg once a day for 2 weeks.
You may also take a tab cetrizine 10mg once daily for symptomatic relief from itching.
These are prescription medications and I advice you to talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.

Dr. Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist