Suggest a remedy for stye

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 24 Feb 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have a Stye on my right eye lower. Eye drops bring no relief . Appreciate your comments. Don Matthews
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

Detailed Answer:
thank you for sending the question.

Regarding a stye, sometimes over-the-counter remedies will not lead to complete symptomatic improvement. Would also recommend warm compresses a few times per day. This can sometimes help to open up the area of swelling to help the drain.

if your symptoms are persistent you might need a prescription antibiotic. A topical antibiotic might be helpful and sometimes and oral antibiotics may be necessary to attack the issue from two different angles.

lastly sometimes it's necessary to actually surgically drain A stye if it fails to respond to remedies mentioned above. This is usually done by an eye doctor.

Thank you again for sending your question. Try some warm compresses to see if this helps. If not I would touch base with your doctor to talk about possible prescription remedies.

Thank you again for sending your question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad