question-icon

Suggest a medication less potent than Ambien for sleep and a restless mind?

Posted on Thu, 11 Feb 2021
Question: I take Ambien for sleep. My mind just won’t stop. I worry about family, my career and money constantly.ambien is all that helps turn down the noise! Help me to find something less potent!
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi (46 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Benzodiazepines can be used.

Detailed Answer:

Ambien is Zolpidem and is a hypnotic drug. The drug helps in sleep but doesn’t has much effects on controlling anxiety and thoughts. If with Ambien your symptoms are persisting then other drugs like Benzodiazepines can be added to your prescription. Low dose Lorazepam or Clonazepam can be used on sos basis. This will help in good sleep and will control the anxiety too. Please visit your doctor for this.

The drugs are better tolerated and Lorazepam is even short acting.

Thanks

Please let me know if you need more help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist