high calorie and high protein diet
Thanks for posting your query
is a highly demanding period both physiologically and nutritionally. The mother’s diet and health during pregnancy has great influence on the fetus.
During early months of pregnancy, there is morning sickness
due to hormonal
and psychological changes taking place in our body. To minimize the effect of morning sickness and nausea
of early pregnancy, you should be taking small amounts of foods with increased frequency. Solid carbohydrate
foods like biscuits, bread or fruit, as first food in the morning as well as before meals will help to relieve the nausea of early pregnancy. At the same time, avoid rich, fried, strongly flavored and highly spiced foods.
It should be remembered that
• During the first trimester, the mother's nutrient intake need not be increased.
• To meet the increased requirements during the 2nd and 3rd trimester of pregnancy, you need to consume extra food. To take care of this, you should be given some snacks in between the main meals rather than three large meals, thus increasing the frequency of feeding.
Therefore the feeding pattern should be 5 to 6 meals a day. Increased protein needs can be met by including protein of good quality like milk, meat eggs, fish. Proteins can also be obtained from food items like pulses, groundnuts, soybean, etc., which are comparatively cheaper. To improve the protein quality, combination of plant protein like cereals and pulses along with small amounts of animal protein should be used.
• To meet the additional iron need, foodstuffs like whole grain cereals, whole pulses, some leafy vegetables like mustard leaves, bathua, etc., dried fruits, eggs and organ meats should be consumed. Along with vitamin c
rich foods like citrus fruits for maximum absorption.
• During pregnancy, due to fetal pressure, constipation
is common problem. Therefore, larger quantities of foods rich in dietary fibre, i.e., fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain cereals, husked pulses along with plenty of fluids need to be included in the diet. The diet on whole should be nutritious and well balanced.
To sum up, here are few points to remember:
1. Try not to binge too much on a single, fried and fast food.
2. Eat short frequent meals for about five to six meals in a day to avoid heart burn.
3. Include fiber rich foods drink plenty of water and walk after you eat to prevent constipation.
4. Reduce your workload.
5. Ensure a good personal hygiene and safe food preparation.
6. Eat plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, green leafy vegetables & sprouts.
7. If you can’t move your bowel (constipation),include fiber rich foods(whole grains, vegetables, fruits), drink plenty of water and walk after you eat.
And the most important thing is to stay relaxed and happy.
Hope I answered your query.