Suggest a good fish oil pill

Posted on Wed, 2 Apr 2014 in Healthy Living
Question: Recently I am taking fish oil pills (Omega 3) I though I should ask a doctor which one is the best brand... all brands clam they are the best... What do you think of OLIMP gold omega sport edition and Forever arctic sea fish oil, which one do you suggest (of course a doctor should have an opinion) in the picture attached you can see how the glass dissolved using one pill of OLIMP gold omega, the cup took time to dissolve... around 5 minutes or more...
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Oil fish is better than fish oil supplements Detailed Answer: Hi I personally recommend Oil fish like salmon, herring and mackerel twice a week for my patients who like fish. If they do have fish in their diet plan I suggest them Omega 3 Fish Oil pills. According to the literature one should consume 2gm to 4gm per day of Omega 3 fish oil per day. I think the dose of EPA and DHA (constituents) of fish oil supplements is more important than the brand. In such a case with these brands you have to take at least 6 soft gels per day to meet the daily requirement, which is cumbersome. The fish oil burp really bother you hence should be taken with food or at night. I suggest you to choose a brand which has at least 700mg of EPA and 500mg of DHA in it. It helps you take only two soft gels per day. The local pharmacist can help you choose a brand which meet the daily requirements Hope this is useful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar