Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Suggest a food list for a reactive hypoglycemia patient

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 1767 Questions
What are the allowed foods in Reactive hypoglycemia and what should i take as fruits. Moreover what can i have for snacks?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Snacks in reactive hypoglycemia;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
The mre are no inhibited fruits in reactive hypoglycemia but it is very important to combine them with other foods so they are absorbed more slowly.
Here are some snacks example that can help you to create an idea about the food recommended in reactive hypoglycemia;

-Low fat cheese (less than 20% M.F.) on dark rye crisp bread
-Carrot and green pepper sticks
Low-fat milk or fortified soy beverage
-Hard-boiled egg with cucumber, celery and carrots sticks
-Hummus (chickpea and sesame seed spread)
Brown rice crackers
Cherry tomatoes
-Trail mix with nuts, raisins and shredded wheat
-Low sodium, low fat cottage cheese or unsweetened yogurt with fresh fruit
-Low fat cheese grated over whole grain nachos with bean, avocado and tomato salsa dips
-Peanut butter spread on cut-up banana

Of course in small proportions.

Best wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest a food list for a reactive hypoglycemia patient 17 minutes later
what about juices ?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
About reactive hypoglycemia:

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Juices are not recommended, as they have lost the fibers of the fruits that make their absorption more longer. They are easily absorbed, raising immediately the blood sugar and thus predisposing for reactive hypoglycemia.
So you should know that the food (the vegetables, fruits, grains ect) should be raw, or untreated.
Best wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor