• question-icon

Suggest a diet plan to reduce future angina episodes

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What is a good diet to follow for someone experiencing angina? I take Eliquis.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

As per the query raised by you I would like to tell you that there is no such diet that can prevent angina, although if you take healthy diet that will keep you fit as a whole.

For a healthy heart one should avoid food rich on saturated fats specially junk, and deep fried food, canned food should also be avoided as salt content is too high in it and promotes hypertension. Smoking should be stopped completely, excessive intake of caffeine containing drinks like coffee should also be avoided. Good amount of fresh fruits and vegetables should be consumed in daily diet.

However as you are taking Eliquis which is a anticoagulant so few eatables should be avoided like spinach, broccoli, large amount of green leafy veggies, cranberry juices and alcohol.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 8 hours later
I have been dealing with constipation all my life and live with Parkinson's disease as well. Lately I have been taking collase as well as Metamucil. This coincides with my having bouts with angina as I mentioned in my previous correspondence. Could one thing have anything to do with the other? I have an appt. tomorrow with my cardiologist and will go ask him, but I am nervous about this situation and hope you can eliminate some of the worry with your wisdom.

Gratefully, XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
No Sir no corelation is known to exist between them.

Although prolonged or chronic constipation problem can make you feel like having chest discomfort.

Dont worry just relax and consult your cardiologist tomorrow. I would also like to suggest you to get one ECG and an Echocardiography done.

Also you can try taking warm cup of milk at night before going to bed as it will help relieve constipation.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist