Suggest a diet plan to alleviate odynophagia

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: in general, what dietary recommendations alleviate odynophagia, as experienced by a paitent receiving radiation therapy for esophageal cancer?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Diet details are below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealhcareMagic for your query,

I've gone through your query in details.

The Odynophagic diet consists of small, frequent meals of soft, moist foods that are easy to swallow and don’t get hard/tough (such as hard meats and breads) and the avoidance of carbonated beverages.

Initially, patients should avoid sugars and limit fluids with meals.

Try to use sauces and gravies to moisten food and make it easier to swallow, soften meat and vegetables with long, slow cooking or boiling.

Try to blend or chop meat and vegetables in a food processor before or after cooking. Use mild curries to make soups (avoid any spices).

Make fruit smoothies, shakes and juices,have ice cream, yogurts and mousse.

In general,
Eat foods high in calories and protein.

In case you need any other professional advice, I would be happy to help.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee