Suggest a balanced diet plan for a 1 year old child

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Fri, 24 Aug 2018 in Child Health
Question: My daughter is 13 months old.
Could you suggest a balanced diet for her? How much milk she shall consume on an average per day and what other things can be included in her food now so that she get all the required nutrients in the amount needed at this stage.

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggetions on feeding of a child

Detailed Answer:

I take this opportunity to tell you certain scientific facts to guide on feeding a child -
1. An active is a well kid even if she is not eating well.
2. Development of a kid is as important as or I would say even more important than growth alone.
3. As the kids grow their interest in food decreases and interest in play activities increases so that they eat small quantity and run away to play. As parents we need to be more patient and feed than less quantity but more aliquots per day.
4. This age rather than the quantity of the food I suggest you concentrate more on the number of times you feed her and also make whatever you feed her calorie dense by adding good amount of ghee to it.
5. I suggest you not to use appetite stimulants on long run as they may cause drowsiness.

Coming to your specific queries -

1. Milk intake should be a maximum of 300ml per day.
2. Avoid ground nuts till 2 years of age.
3. If you are non-vegetarians introduce egg and then gradually other non-veg diet as she is above 1 year now. But vegetarian diet is always preferable.
4. Introduce all vegetables and all seasonal fruits - if not given previously - one per week - this will make us aware is she is allergic to any of these.
5. Even if i give you a diet plan - it is very difficult to stick on with a child and so usually only general guiding points will help.
6. In fact our regular socially and culturally acceptable XXXXXXX diet contains all the required nutrients and is a balanced diet.
7. the concept is - FAMILY POT FEEDING - which means that - whatever you cook for everybody in the family should only be given to her also.

Take Care!
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani,
Pediatrician, Pulmonology