• question-icon

Suggest OTC drugs for chest congestion, cough and sore throat

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have chest congestion, cough and sore throat with one nostril congested. What can I take over the counter to stop being sick. I have no fever yet?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ibuprofen and continue with the meds you are using.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HCM to post your health query.

The fact that you have no fever, means that most probably it is just a viral infection. In general they go one for 3-5 days and then start getting better.
Meanwhile, you can use over the counter medicines, and you don't need antibiotics.

If I was your caring doctor I would recommend to use:
- Iburprofen 400mg for the sore throat and pains in the body. If you start with fever or headaches, that will help you as well. The loasanges you are using will be helpful too.
- For the congestion and cough, XXXXXXX Seltzer Plus is a good one, because it has all in one. Use it regularly for couple of days until symptoms settle down.

Drink plenty of fluids- this is very important.
Cough will stay a bit longer from the symptoms you have, but you should start getting better the 4th day of these symptoms.
If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.
Otherwise please close and rate the answer.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Klarida Papaqako